This project involved the complete renovation of a building dating from 1929 in the heart of Paris’ second arrondissement.
The plateaux were treated and restored in their entirety to open up the space and create new height beneath the ceiling. This decompartmentalization made it possible to expose the transversal plateaux, combined with the large windows to allow for remarkable luminosity across the space.
The focus from the outset was on maximising user-comfort in harmony with the existing historical values of the space. These technical and historical concerns shaped the final design of this renovation project. The false ceilings are limited to central circulation spaces, thus freeing up large open plan office spaces. A play on contrasting hues and noble materials reinforces the distinction between the spaces. Terrazzo, black Corian and natural leather confront each other and interact with the existing structural elements.
The renovation of the building’s exterior structure has restored its original appearance. The facade sits on a new base of black granite from Zimbabwe. This interaction gives the ground floor a certain elegance that confirms the building’s identity whilst integrating it subtly into its surrounding context.